Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Concept Called Feminism, and My Ever Present Fear of Being a Hypocrite

            Okay, so I have had this blog for a year now, and honestly that seemed more important back in June. Currently I feel too tired/bored/lazy to do anything productive, but I'm forcing myself to do this anyway, because sometime that's just what you gotta do.
            So recently (actually not so recently, just before school ended actually...) I've been introduced to a concept. Not particularly fun concept, and not really a new one... But not one I've had firsthand experience with. Really, the idea that sexism was still a thing in 2013 seemed absurd. Among other things... But the writer I followed on Tumblr rants about it constantly. As do... a lot of people. And they have really valid arguments, and I agree with them. 
Ach, god, this is tricky to put into words.
I found this webcomic and started reading, and it's weird... but fascinating. I wanted to mention it. I've sort of gotten my mind around feminism and what it's about and I like and agree with it. As a girl myself, I'm all for gender equality. I wanted to mention it. 
I don't want to bore anyone with a passionate rant about how all women are terribly oppressed, that's not the world I felt like I grew up in. Sure, there are nations and places where people have it worse than me, I could... I probably should (when I'm more informed on the subject)... rant about those places. But I cannot honestly include myself and them in the same situation. My problems are the upcoming start of tenth grade, their problems are getting an education at all. I've read about women being assaulted with bottles of acid for trying to walk to school. A girl my age got shot in the head for advocated equal rights to education--and, amazingly, survived and is continuing her cause (old news, I know, but news just the same). What I'm noticing here is (often white, Republican, and/or southern) male politicians being anti-abortion and generally offensive, idiots being idiots, and the quiet upholding of status quo by the media and well... sheeple. I've actually never used that word 'out loud' in a sentence... it's odd when you have a father who says it all the time. Bottom line, there are problems here (including the more serious stuff that once again I cannot apply myself to), there are problems there, and it's pretty clear to me which ones are more important, and to lump them all into one huge mess of 'mEN ARE JERKs RAWR!1!' would be unfair to people who have put up with worse. I'm a lucky gal, and I just wanted to talk about an issue I feel strongly about. That is all.
T.Y.G.E.R.

1 comment:

  1. When it is to a woman advantage to use her "feminine wiles" they do so with out hesitation.
    Next time some guy wants to change your flat tire, carry something heavy...
    or a cop is eyeballing you thinking about giving you a ticket.
    Fix your own tire, carry your own heavy stuff, take the ticket, open your own doors, shit... buy yourself flowers....
    now think a little harder on this matter.....

    ReplyDelete