Saturday, July 21, 2012

Stories

           The bit and pieces of my stories have a habit of squirming away, but right now I've started a short story. My mom and dad say that I used to have two toy rabbits. One was gray and one, called bunny, who I still have, that's brown. I lost the gray one a long, long time ago. I decided to write a story about what happened to him. It starts like this:

The Lost Rabbit

                The gray ghost of a childhood that could have been clambered out of the trash bin. He shook the scraps of shredded letters and cigarette ash out of his fur, barely stopping to mourn for his former companion. As far as she knew, there had only been one. Bunny the Rabbit. Fur as brown as chocolate milk—the only kind she’ll drink. Fur that was permeated with the scent of memories. A serious frown (for it was years to come before her mother gave him the ability to smile like did in her eyes.) and shiny black eyes that she liked to think focused and saw things. (Which he did.) She had suspicions, of course, mentioning a bizarre dream or two where there were ‘two Bunnies’. They couldn’t come back for him. (Once a toy got thrown away in an unfamiliar place he or she had to disappear, it was the law.) Not now.

           I've written a bit more after that, but I think I might branch out in another direction with this. I am going to finish this. Eventually. Oh and I've decided to name the gray one Rainy Rabbit. I might introduce Bunny later into the story too. Any suggestions would be awesome. 

5 comments:

  1. grey Bunny was left in a hotel room near Disney World in Orlando FL. He was the back up bunny.
    Brown Bunny got his ear rubbed under "The Little Girls" nose like a addiction. It lost a lot of fur at the end of that ear. It gained a lot of boogers & tears. Not to mention sweat & spit.
    The :Little girl" seen a commercial for a detergent. She promptly ask for the detergent. She quoted the commercial saying she needed it, "To Clean The Things She Loved" in the very voice of the announcer. He Dad ask, "What things might these be"
    She replied in a sweet little girl voice of a two and a half old, "BUNNY".
    She went with he father to inform Mama. So Mom gently washed it in special gentle soap, by hand, in the sink.
    Upon getting the now clean bunny back, the Little girl was somewhat disappointed that so many of the memories were washed away.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that bit of extra information, dad. But did you have to add that other stuff? Whatever. It's a nice story. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. LOL! I remember when you came over with your bunny and proceded
    to shove your bunny under my nose and said to me, "smell."
    I sniffed....a little scared of what it would smell like to be honest as you took that bunny everywhere with you and it really was looking a little worse for wear. "It smells pretty" I said, "looks like bunny got a bath." You looked at me so seriously and said "actually, it smells like love."
    (Actually was your favorite word at this time, you were around 3 years old) Such a precious and smart little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grrrrr....I see all the comments I posted yesterday didnt show up! Lets try this again shall we?
    Your cousin Andy had a bunny when he was very little and I have it to this day. Its so ratty and threadbare that I'm affraid to wash it. You once told me your bunny smells like love. Andy's now smells like moth balls!
    I love your blog!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. You are talented and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete